powered by AFI
The playwright Elmer L. Reizenstein later changed his name to Elmer Rice. This was the first film purchased by the First National Exhibitors' Circuit. It originally was to be released by the K-E-S-E Service. The film opened in New York the week of June 10, 1917. It was reviewed at five reels and copyrighted at seven reels. After the Pennsylvania State Board of Censors cut several titles from the film, actors spoke the titles of the complete film at screenings at the Stanley Theatre in Philadelphia. Warner Bros. filmed Reizenstein's play in 1928, with Pauline Frederick starring and Archie Mayo directing (see AFI Catalog of Feature Films, 1921-30; F2.3980), and again in 1939, with Margaret Lindsay starring and Terry Morse directing.