- Fictionalizes Bob Fosse's own experiences working on the musical "Chicago" (which, of course, features a song entitled "All That Jazz").
- Many of the characters in the film are based on real life characters from the New York theater world. Aside from 'Roy Schnider' 's character being based on Bob Fosse, Leland Palmer's character was based on his wife/frequent star Gwen Verdon. John Lithgow's character was also based somewhat on the New York theater director Harold Prince. 'Ann Renking' , was more or less playing herself. Jules Fisher, the lighting designer on many of Fosse's shows, and later the producer of his show "Dancin'", makes an appearance as a lighting designer in the scene with John Lithgow.
- Richard Dreyfuss was originally cast in the role of Joe Gideon but left the production during the rehearsal stage.
- Ann Reinking, who played a part based on herself, had to audition several times before she was cast.
- The part played by Cliff Gorman was based on Dustin Hoffman.
Please support TCMDB by adding to this information.Click here to contribute